Thursday, June 30, 2005

8766 days...

So, here I am, seven minutes into the 24th calendar year of Jorin Slaybaugh...

Exciting.


Thinking back, the 23rd birthday had me a little worried about the future. I mean after all, look at what these very "intelligent" people had to say about it:

Twenty-three and so tired of life / Such a shame to throw it all away. / The images grow darker still / Could I have been anyone other than me?
      -- Dave Matthews, Dancing Nancies

A decade ago / I never thought I would be at twenty-three / on the verge of spontaneous combustion / woe is me.
      -- Incubus, Pardon Me

And that's about the time she walked away from me / Nobody likes you when you're twenty-three / And I'm still more amused by TV shows / What the hell is A.D.D? / My friends say I should act my age. / What's my age again? / What's my age again?
      -- Blink 182 / Whats My Age Again?


So, understandably, I was slightly concerned I might grow tired of life, develop A.D.D., and ultimately burst into spontaneous combustion. Woe is me, indeed.

On the contrary, however, I have to say it was the best year of my life. I started a new career (first time its not just another job) that I love. We just recently moved into our new house. I had a blast in San Antonio. We got Cassie a new car. I started a blog. I mean, really, can you ask for much more?

So, I'll take this opportunity to publicly give credit where credit is due without anyone having to see me get all gushy.

I'm thankful for all my friends and family to whom I don't say it enough. I love you guys.
I'm thankful for the way that history has been controlled for my benefit.
I'm thankful for my job.
I'm thankful for my life.
I'm thankful for all the things that I have.
I'm thankful for all the things that I don't have.
I'm thankful for Google and Dell.
I'm thankful for cookies.

I think that about covers everything, so its high time I get on living (read: "sleeping") and see what 24 has in store for me.

Jorin Slaybaugh

P.S. I don't know of any songs talking about being 24, so if anyone has any insight on some, it might be really helpful :)

Currently listening to: Sweet Baby James, James Taylor.

2 Comments:

At 7/01/2005 07:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jorin!!!!

Is it too early to start paryting? I was cleaning the leftover beer from our last party (I know, I know ... leftover? beer? and why am I just now getting them out of that enormous cooler)anyways, one exploded all over me and the entire kitchen. I have started celebrating your birthday early....

 
At 7/06/2005 01:10:00 PM, Blogger Schlick said...

Songs about 24? How 'bout "When I Grow Up" by the Beach Boys. Lame, lame, lame, but it does mention 24...just barely. Oh yeah. You can use this song all the way until 31.

Will my kids be proud or think their old man is really a sqare?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home